Friday, January 23, 2009

Change

I believe that I am of the correct thinking that most things in life.. are in a cycle.
Today's economic woes and the wars that seem to be raging everywhere, have us all very scared and feeling real pain.
I was thinking about what Lucas and his generation will be facing in the years to come? I believe that in his world, when it is his time to shine, there will be a new order of rules and standards by which we all live by. The behavior of "some", the false sense of entitlement that permeates everywhere today, and all of the greed will likely sound as ridiculous as segregation or woman's rights did for me and my generation(let alone the many that lived through that time and their experience)
I have learned that nothing is 100% clear, but, we do get better at working together toward a better understanding. I think it only prudent to understand that there will always be "some" that will not play in the sandbox nicely.
I was looking at my son and wondering all of this while listening to some of my Jazz buddies (Cannonball, John, Dave, and Miles) and recalled something that I recently read regarding the tough decisions and "unpleasant things" that our new President will have to face. After all, this is America. One of our founding father's said "we are a government of laws and not of men".
A renewal of America's respect for the Constitution and law would be welcome at home as well as abroad. Fear is what drove us for 7 years and we were given the chance for change in 2008 and in 2009 we implemented it.
I will tell my son the stories of the fear created by "some" and remind him that "most" prevailed and that his liberties and freedom today are a direct result of those actions. The next four, or eight, years may be a disappointment, a triumphant renewal or something in between. "Our president is inexperienced, and right now the world looks especially forbidding. President Obama is a respectful man and thoughtful man, and that is a good start."
(some quotes here are from The Economist Jan 17, 2009 edition)

1 comment:

Julie McRedmond said...

so true. I often find myself wanting to clip out news articles or stories so i can teach/show the boys about the world they grew up in. when they are old enough to listen and learn i hope that i can convey the hope/change one person can bring.